Minor Curfew Information
RESOLUTION NO. 2011-0214b
RESOLUTION ENACTING A CURFEW FOR MINORS IN GOSHEN TOWNSHIP - MAHONING COUNTY, OHIO
WHEREAS, Section 505.89 of the Ohio Revised Code allows townships to adopt a resolution enacting a curfew; and
WHEREAS, it is necessary to enact a curfew for the general safety, health, morals, and well being of minors. It is also necessary to aide in the prevention of crime and school truancy in Goshen Township.
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Goshen Township Board of Trustees hereby adopt the following curfew regulation as necessary for Goshen Township – Mahoning County, Ohio.
SECTION 1 – DEFINITIONS
For the purposes of this resolution the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meaning given herein.
1. “Township” means Goshen Township – Mahoning County, Ohio.
2. “Minor” means any person who has not reached his or her
3. “Parent” means any person having legal custody of a minor:
a. as natural or adoptive parent
b. as legal guardian; or
c. as a person to whom legal custody has been given by order of
4. “Public Place” means any street, alley, highway, sidewalk, park,
playground, or place which the general public has access, and a
right to resort for business, entertainment or other lawful
purpose. A public place shall include, but is not limited to, any
store, shop, restaurant, cemetery, and any other place devoted to
amusement and entertainment of the general public.
5. Times referred to herein shall be based upon the prevailing standard
of time, whether Eastern Standard or Eastern Daylight Saving,
generally observed at that hour by the public in the township.
SECTION 2 – CURFEW FOR MINORS
1. No Minor, seventeen years of age and under, shall be upon public streets, sidewalks, right-of-way, highways, roads, alleys, parks, playgrounds, cemeteries, or other public places and public buildings, vacant lots, or other unsupervised places within the Township, between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. any day of the week.
SECTION 3 – CURFEW EXCEPTIONS
1. This resolution does not apply to any minor who is:
a. accompanied by his/her parent, guardian or custodian;
b. accompanied by an adult specified by his/her parent,
guardian or custodian;
c. carrying out an errand or other lawful activity as directed by
his/her parent, guardian or custodian;
d. participating in, going to, or returning from:
1. lawful employment; or
2. lawful athletic, educational, entertainment, religious or
a. Minors have one half hour to be at their residence
after the event has officially concluded if it is after
the time specified in Section 2 of this resolution.
SECTION 4 – PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY
1. No parent having the lawful care , custody or control of a minor shall knowingly permit or allow such minor to be or remain upon any street or public place in violation of this Resolution. “Knowingly” includes knowledge in which parents should reasonably be expected to have concerning whereabouts of a minor in that parent’s custody or control. It shall be no defense that a parent was completely ignorant or indifferent to the activities or whereabouts of such minor.
SECTION 5 – PROCEDURE
1. Any Police Officer upon finding a minor in violation of Section 2 shall ascertain the name and address of the minor and shall warn the minor that he/she is in violation of the curfew resolution and direct the minor to proceed at once to his/her home. If applicable officers should follow the minor to his/her home if in the jurisdiction of the township. If the minor refuses to heed the warning of the officer or the minor has been warned on a previous occasion, he/she shall be cited under Section 2 and escorted home or to the police department to contact the minors parent, guardian or custodian for pick up.
SECTION 6 – PENALTY
1. Any minor violating the provision of this Resolution shall be dealt with in accordance with the juvenile court of law and section 505.89(B), which states the minor shall be charged under chapter 2151 of the Ohio Revised Code as being an unruly child.
Goshen Township Board of Trustees
signed by: Robert McCracken
I hereby certify that the Goshen Township Board of Trustees adopted
Resolution No. 2011-0214b at their meeting on February 14, 2011.
Thomas Knoedler, Fiscal Officer